When the military left the valley, the native people of the area held various allotments adjacent to the Fort and eventually assumed control of the land. The Fort Independence Reservation was officially established through executive orders Number 2264 and 2375 in 1915 and 1916, respectively. This provided the Tribal members with 360 acres of land adjacent to Oak Creek in Independence California. In 2000, the Tribe received an additional 200 acres through the California Indian Land Transfer Act for a total of 560 acres.
Although the Reservation was established in 1915, the formal Tribal government was established in 1965. A group of allotees and descendants of original allotees came together and developed the Articles of Association which is still in use today with no major amendments. The Articles are similar to the Constitution of the United States and lays the framework for additional laws and regulations. The allotees also developed enrollment and assignment ordinances to govern the membership and assignment of tribal land for individual and commercial use. The membership consists of 136 tribal members of which approximately half live on the Reservation and the rest reside elsewhere in the Unites States from coast to coast.
Tribal Historic Preservation Officer, Priscilla Naylor, (760)878-5160